Associations Forum undertakes practical surveys every year which are used by the associations and charities sector as standard reference points and are free to members that participate. Members who do not participate in our surveys can purchase the report for a discounted rate. Our surveys include Associations Salary Survey, Board Survey, Membership and Services Survey, and Association Events Survey.
For more information or to purchase a copy of any of our survey reports please call 02 9904 8200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Association Salary Survey 2018
Wentworth Advantage and Associations Forum are in the eleventh year of producing a dedicated salary resource for professionals and board members in the associations sector. The Associations Salary Survey 2018 highlights salary and employment trends throughout the associations sector and identifies emerging market trends and business changes.
- There were increases in total average salary packages for all positions surveyed except Membership Manager and Policy Manager.
- In terms of CEO working hours, 38.5% are putting in between 46 and 55 hours per week, an increase since last year of 2.7%. However, working more than 75 hours a week is down from 6.1% to 1.2%.
- The Retail, Sales and Marketing sector recorded the largest total salary package increase for all positions at 41.1%.
The 76-page Associations Salary Survey 2018 can be purchased for $110 (NFP members) and $440 (NFP non-members).
Association Board Survey 2018
The Association Board Survey, which has been conducted annually since 2008, examines a number of questions including Board composition and association governance. We have observed some interesting trends in association governance over the years relating to Board sizes and the duration Board members are serving.
- The long-term trend towards smaller Boards continues with the average number of directors dropping to 9.34.
- There is a continuation of the trend towards improving Board performance through increased budgets for Board governance training and performance reviews.
- There is a trend towards improving governance structures following regular constitutional reviews.
- Gender balance on not-for-profit Boards continues to increase, with 39.5% of directors in 2018 being female.
The 11-page Association Board Survey 2018 can be purchased for $50 (NFP members) and $90 (NFP non-members).
Association Events Survey 2018
The Association Events Survey aims to explore the events that associations are running, how they are being produced, and the trends within the association events sector. As associations are considered to be the second largest sector of the events industry, this survey will be of interest to both associations and those working in the events sector.
- Among the factors influencing the choice of major event location, the four most important are considered to be venues and facilities available, cost, location of membership base and accessibility.
- Just over half of the respondents do not utilise any of the services provided by the convention bureaux
- Almost half of the survey respondents have reported a trend towards an increase in delegate numbers
The 16-page Association Events Survey Report 2018 can be purchased for $50 (NFP members) and $90 (NFP non-members).
Membership and Services Survey 2018 (coming soon)
The eleventh Membership and Services Survey will show the different services NFPs are offering their members and how member retention rates differ between associations, charities and other NFP organisations.
Key Findings 2017
- Membership retention rates were down slightly on the 2016 figures for the professional or industry associations who participated. However, charities had an increased retention rate.
- Electronic newsletters continue to be the most common core service offered to members.
- Ongoing education/CPD, conferences and policy & lobbying are the most popular services for members.
- Conferences and ongoing education/CPD are usually provided at an extra cost.