Update your Strategic Plan during the COVID-19 crisis
COVID-19 has meant that business-as-usual has changed, at least for the remainder of this year.
If you have an association Plan that was developed more than 4 weeks ago, it is likely that the focus of your action plan will have dramatically changed. This is not to say that your whole strategic plan has necessarily changed but you must review it, especially programs and action items.
Very simply: your strategic plan may include something like this:
Mission: The Mission of XYZ association is to advance the XYZ profession and to represent the interests of members.
Pillars: In order to achieve our Mission, we will:
- National Conference
- Multi-state Roadshow
- Meet Minister in Canberra
- Expand professional opportunities
- Asian Trade Mission
- Have good governance
In your planning, you will have fleshed out each Pillar with specific action items to be completed in the near to mid-term. If the Pillars have been well-thought-out, they should not need to be changed because they are fundamental to achieving your Mission.
However, the action items need to be reviewed urgently to ensure you are true to and supporting the Mission most appropriately during the current COVID-19 crisis.
- An 'educate' action might now be replaced by 'develop and deliver online professional development.'
- 'Expanding professional opportunities' may have had a long-term focus but in the current environment will necessarily relate to assisting members retain their business, professional standing, or livelihoods.
- 'Good governance' should not change but the emphasis will be on dealing with business continuity planning, assisting the CEO focus on key priorities, providing current industry intelligence etc.
Associations Forum can assist Boards and senior staff undertaking planning reviews and with governance training and support