VIC Association Governance Workshop
Join us for our VIC Governance Workshop
An association Director’s or Councillor’s responsibilities are considerable, yet the experience, knowledge and connections gained from this important role can be immense. Our Governance Workshop will enable Directors, Councillors and Committee members from the governing body of associations and charities to better perform their role and duties.
Associations Forum has conducted hundreds of governance sessions with Boards of associations and charities. We understand how associations and charities are different from commercial and government entities, often with a devoted membership base. From our years of experience working with associations and charities and by understanding the context in which they work, we have developed this highly-relevant, practical and interactive one-day workshop.
Member Registrations: $660 including GST
Non-Member Registrations: $880 including GST (NFP only)
Who should attend:
This workshop is specifically designed for:
- Presidents; chairs; directors; councillors; governing committee members
- CEOs and senior staff
- Company secretaries and public officers
of associations incorporated under the Commonwealth Corporations Act and State and Territory Associations Incorporation Acts and ACNC registered charities.
8.30am Arrival Tea and Coffee
9.00am Session 1: Director Roles and Responsibilities
- Definition of governance and its importance to associations
- Incorporation legislation and common law responsibilities of Directors
- The position of members in relation to governance
10.30am Morning Tea
11.00am Session 2: Key Documents, the Constitution and By-laws
- Constitutions and role of by-laws and governance charters
- Board/Council composition, term limits, conflicts and external Directors
- Members’ voting rights and Annual General Meeting considerations
1.30pm Session 3: Functions of the Board
- Association planning for short, medium and long term
- Financial stewardship, tax and avoidance of fraud such as RSL NSW
- Reputation protection, including CPA Australia case study
- 40 tips for association Boards/Councils
3.00pm Afternoon Tea
3.30pm Session 4: Improving Board Processes and Performance
- Appropriate information to the Board/Council and minutes
- Meeting effectiveness and avoiding ongoing meetings
- Board assessment, stability and revitalisation
- Recapping the role of Board Directors/Councillors in achieving mission
5.00pm Close of workshop
ABOUT THE PRESENTER
Denys Correll, Manager - Client Services, Associations Forum
Denys joined Associations Forum in October 2012 after a career in not-for-profit governance, management and lobbying in Australia and overseas. Since joining Associations Forum, Denys has consulted with associations on governance, mergers, constitutional reviews, board processes and strategic planning.
Denys's career has included 28 years as a CEO of national and international associations. He has been a director of a commercial specialist insurance company and a volunteer director of national and international not-for-profit associations including the Australian and Victorian MS Societies.
Testimonials for our Governance Training
"A fantastic educational event that is sure to assist everyone who attended to improve their respective Association's Governance."
- Gerard Ryan, Chief Executive Officer, Australian Shop & Office Fitting Industry Association
"Well run, good and relevant speaker combined with the opportunity to share and learn from other CEO and Chairs."
- Suzanne Jones, Chair, Australian Association of Dial Before You Dig
"It was a very good session, informative and well delivered providing a clear understanding of governance responsibilities."
- Tina Douvos-Stathopoulos, Chief Executive Officer, Australian Greek Welfare Society PRONIA