WA Association Governance Workshop
An association Director’s or Councillor’s responsibilities are considerable, yet the experience, knowledge and connections gained from this important role can be immense. Our Governance Workshop will enable Directors, Councillors and Committee members from the governing body of associations and charities to better perform their role and duties.
Associations Forum has conducted hundreds of governance sessions with Boards of associations and charities. We understand how associations and charities are different from commercial and government entities, often with a devoted membership base. From our years of experience working with associations and charities and by understanding the context in which they work, we have developed this highly-relevant, practical and interactive one-day workshop.
Who should attend:
This workshop is specifically designed for:
- Presidents; chairs; directors; councillors; governing committee members
- CEOs and senior staff
- Company secretaries and public officers
of associations incorporated under the Commonwealth Corporations Act and State and Territory Associations Incorporation Acts and ACNC registered charities.
9.00am Session 1: Director Roles and Responsibilities
- Definition of governance and its importance to associations
- Incorporation legislation and common law responsibilities of Directors
- The position of members in relation to governance
10.30am Morning Tea
11.00am Session 2: Key Documents, the Constitution and By-laws
- Constitutions and role of by-laws and governance charters
- Board/Council composition, term limits, conflicts and external Directors
- Members’ voting rights and Annual General Meeting considerations
1.30pm Session 3: Functions of the Board
- Association planning for short, medium and long term
- Financial stewardship, tax and avoidance of fraud such as RSL NSW
- Reputation protection, including CPA Australia case study
- 40 tips for association Boards/Councils
3.00pm Afternoon Tea
3.30pm Session 4: Improving Board Processes and Performance
- Appropriate information to the Board/Council and minutes
- Meeting effectiveness and avoiding ongoing meetings
- Board assessment, stability and revitalisation
- Recapping the role of Board Directors/Councillors in achieving mission
5.00pm Close of workshop
Member Registrations: $660 including GST
Non-Member Registrations: $880 including GST (NFP only)
ABOUT THE PRESENTERS
Kathy Nguyen, Manager - Client Services, Associations Forum
Kathy works on consulting projects for Association Forum clients, both nationally and in the Asia-Pacific, on association structure, operations and governance. She has reviewed over 150 constitutions and regularly presents to organisations on membership, governance and events.
Kathy commenced at Associations Forum in 2004, leaving in 2010 to work at Governance Institute of Australia until 2013. She has also worked at Ernst & Young, the Trade Association Forum in London and for the Royal Australasian College of Physicians.
Kathy holds Bachelors of Laws & Business and is also a Graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors Company Directors Course™.
Testimonials for our Governance Training
"A fantastic educational event that is sure to assist everyone who attended to improve their respective Association's Governance."
- Gerard Ryan, Chief Executive Officer, Australian Shop & Office Fitting Industry Association
"I just wanted to restate our appreciation to you both for your time and knowledge sharing at our Governance session on Thursday. Clearly, there was great interest from our Directors and we have now included the PowerPoint to your presentation as part of our Director’s Induction Kit."
- Robert Fuller, Chief Executive Officer, Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia Limited
"ARATA are grateful for your guidance and knowledge in working with us prior to our meeting to maximise the session. We would also like to acknowledge your skills in facilitation on the day: the information was just right for Boards of our calibre in terms of roles, responsibilities and issues. Your ‘light touch’ approach felt very supportive and helped the Board to feel confident in making decisions going forward about better governance. We look forward to working with you in the future."
- Dr Natasha Layton, President, Australian Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology Association Ltd