Association Governance Workshop
An association Director’s or Councillor’s responsibilities are considerable, yet the experience, knowledge and connections gained from this important role can be immense. Our Association Governance Workshop will enable Directors, Councillors and Committee members from the governing body of associations and charities to better perform their role and duties.
Associations Forum has conducted hundreds of governance sessions with Boards of associations and charities. We understand how associations and charities are different from commercial and government entities, often with a devoted membership base. From our years of experience working with associations and charities and by understanding the context in which they work, we have developed this highly relevant, practical and interactive one-day workshop.
Who should attend:
This workshop is specifically designed for:
- Presidents, chairs, directors, councillors, governing committee members
- CEOs and senior staff
- Company secretaries and public officers
of associations incorporated under the Commonwealth Corporations Act and State and Territory Associations Incorporation Acts and ACNC registered charities.
9.00am Session 1: Director Roles, Authority and Responsibilities
- Definition of governance and its importance to associations
- Incorporation legislation and common law responsibilities of Directors
- The position of members in relation to governance
- Exercise: the difference between governance and management roles
10.30am Morning Tea
11.00am Session 2: Key Documents, the Constitution and By-laws
- Constitutions and role of by-laws and governance charters
- Board/Council composition, term limits, conflicts and external Directors
- Members’ voting rights and Annual General Meeting considerations
- Case studies of de-identified poor constitutions
1.30pm Session 3: Functions of the Board
- Association planning for short, medium and long term
- Financial stewardship, tax and avoidance of fraud such as RSL NSW
- Reputation protection, including CPA Australia case study
- 40 tips for association Boards/Councils
3.00pm Afternoon Tea
3.30pm Session 4: Improving Board Processes and Performance
- Appropriate information to the Board/Council and minutes
- Meeting effectiveness and avoiding ongoing meetings
- Board assessment, stability and revitalisation
- Recapping the role of Board Directors/Councillors in achieving mission
5.00pm Close of workshop
Member Registrations: $660 including GST
Non-Member Registrations: $880 including GST (NFP only)
ABOUT THE PRESENTER
John Peacock, Chief Executive Officer, Associations Forum
John is the General Manager of Associations Forum and is one of Australia’s most experienced advisors to associations and charities and is a thought leader for the not-for-profit sector.
With a BCom (University of NSW), he has held senior management and Directorship roles with various not-for-profit organisations. Since 2000, John has trained and consulted to hundreds of associations and charities, large and small, on strategic planning, governance, board effectiveness, operations, restructuring and financial issues.
As well as engagement on specific projects, John’s consulting business undertakes whole-of-organisation reviews of associations and charities. John’s operational specialisation is developing plans that can be translated into actions, budgets and job descriptions. His change specialisation is in the field of mergers of associations.
"On behalf of the HKBA Board I'd like to express our thanks for the session on Tuesday. It was an extremely valuable session that has definitely got everyone refocused and our heads in the right mindset. Thank you for your help!"
- Shahrad Shafaghi, President, Hornsby Ku-Ring-Gai Basketball Association
"I just wanted to restate our appreciation to you both for your time and knowledge sharing at our Governance session on Thursday. Clearly there was a good deal of interest from our Directors and we have now included your presentation power point as part of our Director’s Induction Kit."
- Robert Fuller, Chief Executive Officer, Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia Limited
"ARATA are grateful for your guidance and knowledge in working with us prior to our meeting to maximise the session. We would also like to acknowledge your skills in facilitation on the day: the information was just right for Boards of our calibre in terms of roles, responsibilities and issues. Your ‘light touch’ approach felt very supportive and helped the Board to feel confident in making some decisions going forward about better governance. We look forward to working with you in the future."
- Dr Natasha Layton, President, Australian Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology Association Ltd
THIS EVENT IS PROUDLY SPONSORED BY