The governance presentation we have developed is practical and relevant to associations and companies limited by guarantee. It covers the Board’s legal responsibilities and the governance framework of not-for-profit organisations.
The presentation is approximately 90 minutes and covers:
- Corporate governance
- Terminology, law, tax status
- Board role, legal duties, accountability responsibility, conflict of interest
- Key documents, Constitution, By-laws
- Operations of the Board - planning, agendas, minutes, confidentiality, finances
- Members, governance, management, risk
- Improving Board performance
The presentation is included free of charge (exclusive of any travel costs) for Gold Members. If your organisation is not yet a member, please click here to join. Presentations and training can also be delivered to non-members for a fee.
Please contact Kathy Nguyen on 02 9904 8200 or email@example.com for further information.
"Thanks again for attending and presenting to the RSA Board on Friday – the feedback was overwhelmingly positive with some of the longer-serving directors saying it was good to consolidate previous learnings and to realise how far the RSA had come, while the newer ones found it very worthwhile to understand ‘association land’ a bit better. Interestingly, all directors stayed for the very dry training session on reading MYOB reports afterwards. I am sure this was in part because of a realisation from your remarks that they need to understand!"
- Elaine Trevaskis, Secretariat, Renal Society of Australasia
"Thank you so much for coming and presenting to the Board. It was incredibly informative and we’re already planning what improvements and changes we can make! I was also able to use the AGM guide for our meeting on Friday."
- Leigh-anne Shannon, Executive Officer, Internal Medicine Society of Australia and New Zealand Ltd
"I just wanted to restate our appreciation to you both for your time and knowledge sharing at our Governance session on Thursday. Clearly there was a good deal of interest from our Directors and we have now included your presentation power point as part of our Director’s Induction Kit."
- Robert Fuller, Chief Executive Officer, Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia Limited
"ARATA are grateful for your guidance and knowledge in working with us prior to our meeting to maximise the session. We would also like to acknowledge your skills in facilitation on the day: the information was just right for Boards of our calibre in terms of roles, responsibilities and issues. Your ‘light touch’ approach felt very supportive and helped the Board to feel confident in making some decisions going forward about better governance. We look forward to working with you in the future."
- Dr Natasha Layton, President, Australian Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology Association Ltd
"Just a short note to thank you very much for your Board training. The feedback has been very good and the Board thought you provided an excellent outline and more importantly, you engaged with them which they felt made the session even more beneficial. Your research and understanding of AIBS was much appreciated as was your professionalism and knowledge."
- Brett Mace, Chief Executive Officer, Australian Institute of Building Surveyors
"Thank you so much for your excellent and informative session. We appreciated the highly interactive format, your realistic approach and were especially appreciative of the additional time given to our Board. You and your words of wisdom were so well received. Great work! You proved our membership was a good decision."
- Velia Nicholls, State Commissioner, Girl Guides Queensland
"Associations Forum clearly identified governance areas that the ASA were doing well and others that could be improved and how this could be done, and the importance of good governance within a smaller not-for-profit association. I highly recommend governance training for all Boards, and find that the knowledge offered by Associations Forum in this regard is invaluable."
- Stephanie Blower, Executive Officer, Australasian Sleep Association
"Owners Corporation Network of Australia Board members were delighted to take up the Associations Forum offer of a governance session. Although each had a broad knowledge of their roles and responsibilities, the session provided a valuable reinforcement and flagged some areas for improvement."
- Karen Stiles, Executive Officer, Owners Corporation Network of Australia